Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Goodbye 2006, so much for 2007

I know that I have not kept my word by refreshing this blog. So what? I have no regrets at all. Its my blog so stuff it if you care. So much for the tantrum. The fact is, I have been under a continuous state of shock for the last two months (since the last entry.) If you live in Zimbabwe, then stress is the by word. We're living it full time.

Eat this...the guys who misrule this country were busy slapping each other on the back when the Minister of Finance said that the country will not sink because, and I quote,"Our people are very resilient." Reminds me of the "Ramba Wankashinga" (Remain steadfast) jinggle which has the motley bunch of prancing dirt poor peasants celebrating the fact that they now had the land. Now I get it. Its not about politics, neither is it the economy, stupid, nor 'illegal sanctions.' As long as the people remain resilient, things will remain the way they are, or worse still, get worse!

In the last two months we have seen inflation breach the 1500% mark and I can bet you that predictions by economic commentator John Robertson, that it will hit 2000% by December 2006, have come to pass. Its unilateralism everywhere. The bakers have raised the price of the loaf at the same time throwing quality out of the window. You leave the supermarkert with a loaf, and get home with a bag full of crumbs! Honest! To add to the drama, the government decided to reign in these 'errant and unscrupulous businessmen' by throwing them in the slammer. Only to agree later to a price almost twice what the bakers were arrested for! Wkat cheek!

Fuel prices continue to rise. At the last count it was Z$2900 per litre. This is against the elusive government subsidised one of a deceptive Z$350. I am yet to find it at the garages. Which is why commuter omnibus operators have (you guessed right) unilaterally hiked fares by 100%! All this is happening when the average salary of a university lecturer can afford him 100 loaves of bread.

Sanctions? My foot! Someone is failing to manage things, pure and simple.

No comments: